Complementary and Alternative medicine for menopause.
For any woman entering her late 40’s, one of the biggest worries could be that of reaching menopause. Menopause, though a very natural process, comes in with a lot of baggage. It is a phase after which a woman’s ovaries stop producing any hormones hence, conception post this time isn’t possible. Most women hit their menopause between 45 to 52 years of age.
Menopause could be quite bothersome for any woman. It is characterized by hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, terrible pain, mood disorders, sleep disturbances, sexual dysfunctions as well as vaginal dryness.
For years together, women have been suffering from these symptoms. But according to a recent study, “many women seek complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) for symptom management.”
What does the study say?
Tons and tons of studies have been done by various researchers about how menopausal symptoms could be handled better.”More than 85% of these women will experience problematic symptoms, including hot flashes, night sweats, sleep disturbances, sexual dysfunction, mood disorders,Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Menopause’, published in the Journal of evidence-based integrative medicine.
According to the study, a variety of alternative therapies like aromatherapy, homeopathy, reflexology and such could be of help in terms of managing the symptoms better. “Health care providers should consider the evidence on CAM in providing an integrative health approach to menopausal symptom management,” stated the study.
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
- Yoga: Another study, named ‘Yoga decreases insomnia in postmenopausal women: a randomized clinical trial’ stated that “a specific sequence of yoga might be effective in reducing insomnia and menopausal symptoms as well as improving quality of life in postmenopausal women with insomnia.” For many years, women have been encouraged to perform yoga in order to manage these symptoms better. Moreover, it helps in terms of
Yoga, not only helps in curing insomnia, but also helps with other physical pain as well as mood disorders. It also helps
- Homeopathy: This form of medicine believes that ‘like cures like’. With that principle, it states that whenever hurts you has the power to heal you, if induced in a particular form. A lot of women have found respite in getting treated for menopause for years. Homeopathy is also a renowned treatment for diabetes, anxiety, asthma, etc.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy or the essential oil therapy is a known alternative therapy that is highly beneficial to treat symptoms of menopause. Furthermore, it also helps in dealing with stress in a better way. “The scented oils are believed to reduce anxiety and increase relaxation, which may be beneficial in easing stressful menopausal symptoms,” said the study published in the Journal of evidence-based integrative medicine.
- Acupuncture: This ancient form of Chinese medicine involves the insertion of small needles into the skin at certain points on the body, which are called acupoints that helps with relieving pain and improved somatic symptoms. This is one of the most acclaimed treatments for menopause.
- Reflexology: Reflexology is a kind of body massage that focuses on hands, ears, and feet that are used to stimulate certain glands and organs. Apart from just menopausal symptoms, reflexology is quite commonly opted to treat PMS symptoms, problems related to the reproductive system as well as restoring the natural balance in the body. “The principle behind reflexology states that there are reflex points on the hands and feet that correspond to certain body zones, and when pressure is applied to these points, disease-causing energy blockages are eliminated from the corresponding body zone,” observed the above study.
Johnson, A., Roberts, L., & Elkins, G. (2019). Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Menopause. Journal of evidence-based integrative medicine, 24, 2515690X19829380. doi:10.1177/2515690X19829380