C-word alert: Ayurveda could help you in preventing and treating Cancer, here’s how!
Cancer is more like a cuss-word in today’s context. Uttering this C-word isn’t the best discussion to begin with. That is because cancer is dreadful. No matter how much the doctors/caregivers have researched about cancer and its prevention, there is very little that we definitively know about cancer. Today, it is affecting people all around us.
Ayurveda and cancer
Ayurveda and its practitioners have, time and again, proven that Ayurveda for treating cancer and its prevention is a boon. Largely, Ayurveda believes that cancer is caused due to “agni”, a component that English medicines refer to as “mitochondria”.
Factors that can cause cancer
Ayurveda believes that any illness is caused due to the excess or malfunctioning of one of the three doshas (vata, pitta or kapha) or its elements. Here are a few causes for cancer (according to Ayurveda, in no order of prominence):
- External factors: Alcohol, pollution, toxins, tobacco, pesticides, excess of sugar or red meat.
- Internal factors: Stress, free radicals, hormones or obesity.
- Genetic factors: Mitochondrial mutation or beej dosha (mutation of the DNA).
- Bad lifestyle: Lack of physical exercise, eating of junk food and erratic sleep patterns.
Here’s how Ayurveda helps in solving these factors:
- Removal of free radicals.
- Improves metabolic functions of mitochondria.
- Acts as tumour suppressor.
- Improves immunity.
- Helps with the mutation of DNA.
Prevention of Cancer
If there is any branch of medicine that guarantees the prevention of a disease as dreadful as Cancer, it is Ayurveda. Here are 3 herbs you must consume in order to prevent this life-threatening disease:
- Turmeric and Ashwagandha: Two of the most beneficial herbs on this planet, turmeric and ashwagandha stimulate the growth of p53 suppressor pathways. They act as tumour suppressors for our body.
- Amla: Indian gooseberry could safely be called as a wonder fruit. Amla, is rich in Vitamin C and laboratory trials of amla extracts have proven its ability to prevent the growth of Cancer cells while leaving the healthy cells untouched.
- Tulsi: Tulsi helps in reducing stress, kills cancerous cells, and alters gene expressions by increasing the antioxidant properties. It is highly helpful in preventing cancer as well as treating it too.
Aishwarya Iyer is a chai-vanist, Murakami fan, considerate companion and a bubbly speaker with a fanaticism for fitness.