Heal At Home: Ayurvedic Remedies For Cough
With monsoon around the corner, the weather generally undergoes a different shift. Some days are extremely humid while the others are pleasantly sunny. The change in weather may act as a villain in your daily life. Dry cough, running nose, viral fever or sore throat may well be indicators of your body that something may not be just right with your body. But most of us will agree that the underlying cause for all of this is a cough. Cough is a very common ailment that usually occurs with cold. It falls under the Kapha disorder in Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Cough
Cough is caused by the accumulation of mucus from the respiratory tract. When you opt for Ayurvedic treatment, you’re basically trying to cut out the root cause behind a cough. Though it is true that not all ayurvedic remedies may suit everybody, here are 5 commonly found herbs at home that act as a strong treatment for cough:
- Natural antibiotics: Dust, pollution, improper food may be the cause for your cough. That’s why it is always better to treat yourself with natural antibiotics. Just before you go to bed, take a glass of warm milk with turmeric and honey. This natural antibiotic not only helps in curing cough but also helps in inducing restful sleep.
- Teas: Have ginger tea or basil tea. Ayurvedic herbs and spices like ginger, cloves, cinnamon powder, long pepper, turmeric powder, etc are beneficial to cure cough. Try to add them in your daily meals to prevent ailments.
- Cough syrup: Make a natural cough syrup at home made by mixing equal parts of ginger and honey.
- Ginger: You can even chew small pieces of ginger with hot water to treat your throat. Another thing you can do is simply chew tulsi leaves through the day to help you heal faster.
- Giloy juice: If you’re suffering from chronic cough, you must consume two tablespoons of giloy juice with water in the morning. This acts as an anti-allergen and helps in treating cough caused due to allergic reactions like pollution.