Depression can show differently in different people- it could cause chronic illnesses, massive weight gain or weight-loss, uncontrolled mood swings or alterations in a person’s overall health. But the point is that the number of people suffering from depression is rising by the day.
Globally, about 300 million people are affected by Depression. World Health Organization (WHO) claims, “Depression is different from usual mood fluctuations and short-lived emotional responses to challenges in everyday life. Especially when long-lasting and with moderate or severe intensity, depression may become a serious health condition.”
For years together, depression has been treated by medication. However, it is no news that anti-depressants cause more harm to your body than good. Some of the commonly known side-effects of antidepressants include nausea, constipation, poor vision, and insomnia. Therefore, alternative medicine for depression is a great way to cure yourself. “Although there are known, effective treatments for depression, fewer than half of those affected in the world (in many countries, fewer than 10%) receive such treatments. Barriers to effective care include a lack of resources, lack of trained health-care providers, and social stigma associated with mental disorders,” added WHO.
According to a study named, “Alternative Medicine for Treating Depression,” that was published in the Biomed Journal Sci & Tech Research it was observed that, “There is some evidence that holistic treatment is effective for depression. Using holistic psychotherapies can help patients go back to the source of the depression in their lives and learn effective ways of using tools to manage the symptoms and in many cases improve their overall functioning.”
It further added that “Alternative therapy for depression encompasses a variety of disciplines that includes everything from diet and exercise to mental conditioning and lifestyle changes.”
The study points out some ways to beat depression. Few of them are:
- Massage: Would you believe us if we said that massages are not only good for relaxation but also for letting out stress hormones? Well, it is true. Massage therapy helps in the release of serotonin, dopamine which will help you with improving sleep and feeling relaxed. In addition to that, the decrease of cortisol levels during a massage also has proven to be an effective treatment for treating the symptoms of depression.
- Meditation: Meditation refills your neurotransmitters with serotonin (the happy hormone) and norepinephrine in a healthy way. This will help you in the longer run, to stay calm and treat depression.
- Yoga: Yoga can help you with almost anything. Practicing yoga regularly helps in calming your mind and body. It also helps in managing anxiety. When you practice meditation regularly, you welcome wellness in the longer run. “The postures and movements in yoga teach you how to hold your body in a way that can make you feel stronger, better able to breathe and function, and to create an improved sense of overall well-being,” the study said.
- Eat right: Eating right is one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself fit. But most importantly, eating right is your magic potion to be mentally fit. Minimize your consumption of sugar while loading up on foods rich in Vitamin-B as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Have a balanced meal and do not overeat or under-eat anything!
- Acupuncture: “In a recent clinical study, acupuncture has been shown effective in decreasing depression at three months, compared to usual care. For people who suffer from both pain and depression, acupuncture
is better than counseling and standard of care at reducing both symptoms,” the study added.
Susheelkumar VR, Chetan SP, Shridhar HG, Kirankumar TC et al. Alternative Medicine for Treating Depressiont. Biomed J Sci & Tech Res 5(2)- 2018. BJSTR. MS.ID.001174. DOI: 10.26717/ BJSTR.2018.05.001174.