Would you ever drink from a bottle labeled bacteria juice? High chances are heck no! But, what if I tell you that there’s a drink which can heal your inner body in no time and is loaded with nutrients at the same time, would you consider it? I’m sensing an affirmation from you now!
For those who are not aware of this two thousand year- long serving drink of the east-Asians “The Immortal Health Elixir” – Kombucha is a beverage with many health benefits – extending to your heart, brain and your digestive system.
It is a fermented beverage consisting of black tea and sugar (sugarcane, fruit or honey) which is used as a functional and probiotic drink. The healthy bacteria found in kombucha and your digestive tract absorbs nutrients and fights illness.
As shown by several research studies conducted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 80% of our immune system is located in our gut. The digestive system stands to be the second largest part of our neurological system, and it’s not surprising that the stomach is considered to be our ‘second brain.’
Drinking kombucha on a regular basis is a valuable addition which can help us maintain peak immune health, and lead to many impressive benefits for our overall health. Consuming too much of anything is bad for you, of course. The excessive consumption of it may lead to adverse effects on our body.
Health Benefits of Kombucha:
- Weight Loss: When our healthy microbes are depleted, it leads to obesity and diabetes. The natural acids and antioxidant properties of it may help you in losing fat.
- Energy Enhancement: Kombucha contains energizing substances such as Vitamin B and Iron. The iron helps in increasing blood hemoglobin levels which as a result enhances the oxygen flow throughout our body.
- Detoxification: According to several studies, gluconic acid, which is mainly found in fruits and vegetables is also seen in Kombucha; it binds the toxins to remove them from the system. Filled with enzymes and bacterial acids, Kombucha is known to aid in the process of natural detoxification.
- Improved Digestion: Kombucha is known to be a good asset to control our digestive system. There are mounting pieces of evidence that the combination of organic acids, enzymes, and probiotics in Kombucha promotes healthy digestion and soothes an upset stomach. It can relieve you from problems such as diarrhea and constipation.
- Improves Immune System: The healthy stomach bacteria gained by drinking Kombucha helps to stimulate the immune system. It is closely connected to the living organisms in your digestive system. Probiotics, which are specifically found in fermented foods and extracted from the fermentation process, can strengthen our natural defenses against harmful microbes.
The Warning Sign:
In order to make the product more appealing to the customers, the Kombucha drinks are sweetened with fruit juice or sugarcane. Which leads to some brands of Kombucha drinks with high levels of sugar. When consumed in excess, the added sugars – from sugar-sweetened beverages – can negatively impact your health in many ways.
People who have a low level of immunity due to deadly viruses such as HIV/AIDS need to be more cautious about consuming Kombucha. Since there is always a possibility that the yeast can grow harmful bacteria which can cause more illness, this is often seen in case of homemade kombucha.
While Kombucha has been linked to a wide range of benefits, some people tend to consume it in excess which may lead to excessive sugar and calorie intake that can have its own downside like digestive distress. It is also unpasteurized, containing small amounts of caffeine and alcohol. Which makes it off limits for some.
This fermented drink serves a number of positive purposes but the excessive consumption of the same leads to its own undoing.
Omkar Kulkarni is a self-proclaimed art appreciator, a certified film reviewer and someone’s favorite human being.