Top Meditation Centers In India To Find Your Soul’s Calling
India is known as a spiritual destination for all those who are seeking a deeper understanding of their life purpose and finding a way to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. These are some of the meditation centers in India that can provide just the retreat that your soul was prodding you to:
- Auroville, Pondicherry
Auroville has one-of-a kind community which stands as a perfect example of sustainability. There are currently 2500 people and growing who are part of this spiritual community belonging to around 50 countries. The diversity in nationality, age, caste, gender and social backgrounds represent the values that this township boasts of- that of oneness and acceptance. The Aurobindo Ashram was set up in 1926 by the legendary Indian philosopher and poet Sri Aurobindo. Auroville was set up under the guidance and philosophy of a Parisian musician named Mirra Alfassa. The Matri Mandir, a unique architecture surrounded by 12 parks is a perfect spot for meditation and contemplation, and symbolizes birth of a new consciousness.
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, Neyyar Dam, Kerala Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, set up by Swami Visnudevananda is built upon the ideals of the Indian way of living and is committed to spread knowledge about the different disciplines of Yoga and encourage the values of bhakti and meditation. The courses are at least for three days and the knowledge of Yoga includes Raja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga and Jnana Yoga. The Ashram holds workshops and courses on Ayurveda and wellness like Yoga teacher training, a daily routine of intensive sessions of hatha yoga classes, Ayurvedic cooking, and Ayurveda wellness courses. Fasting, detoxification and healthy living is an integral part of all Yoga courses. The Ashram is located near the scenic Neyyar Dam Lake, making it ideal for a quiet time of reflection and vacationing.
- Osho International Meditation Resort, Pune Osho International Meditation Resort has a very unique and serene architecture and focuses on amalgamating culture with spirituality. The teachings focus on Buddhist wisdom and there are plenty of activities possible for visitors apart for delving into spiritual reflection and meditation. The retreat visitors can choose among the different Living In programs, the Osho Guesthouse or dipping their toes in the humongous array of activities designed as a way of fostering cultural inquisition.
- Tushita Meditation Centre, Dharamshala McLeod Ganj, the suburb of Dharamsala has a vibrant appeal to it as it offers access to ancient Tibetan culture and spiritual Buddhist wisdom. The Tushita Meditation Centre embodies strict codes of discipline for spiritual living and this is reflected in the kinds of courses they offer- all depending upon different purposes and suited to different interests. However, one of the key factors here is that the participants are encouraged to stay away from technology and kindred distractions of material living as a means of developing the spiritual core.
- Ayurveda Yoga Meditation Resort, Coonor The Ayurveda Yoga Meditation Resort is set in the picturesque and awe-inspiring Nilgiri Mountains of Southern India where the knowledge of Ayurveda is given precedence. The Resort is also surrounded by organic farms, a variety of medicinal plants and herbs which make it a perfect natural habitat for learning the ancient science of Ayurveda. The Communal Vegetarian meals in this natural abode along with personalised natural care programs indulging into the vast knowledge of Yoga, organic farming and ancient Indian living are few of the things to try here.
- Vipassana International Academy, Igatpuri Dhamma Giri is the world’s largest meditation center and focuses on the idea of complete solitude and individualized meditation experience, for which 400 personal cells are provided for deep meditation and relaxation. The course duration is of 10 days and is offered twice a year, for which complete solitude and abstinence is practiced.
- Krishnamurti Foundation, Chennai Krishnamurti Foundation is the perfect abode to learn extensively about the teachings of J Krishnamurti across various kind of media and the weekend retreat explore his works and teachings at length. The courses are structured around the principles of immersive learning, meant to break out of the regular routine and there are also individual study programs lasting up to three months or more depending upon the requirement.
- Shreyas Yoga Retreat, Bangalore
This place boasts of a Yoga facility where one can get personalized guidance under the care of professionals, and delve into the practice of Yoga as a gateway to self exploration and self- discovery. The courses can be personalized as per the individual’s requirement and is structured aroundrejuvenating spas, disciplined meditation sessions and classes based on spiritual living.
Madhulika Mitra is a fantasy connoisseur, a realm creatrix, a shadow-seeker, and a cosmic cardslinger.