Way to Wellness: Know the benefits of meditation
We all have met that one person in our neighbourhood who has suggested to you again and again that you must start meditating. Whether it is your headache or a back problem, they may have told you it is best to start with meditation daily. But guess what? They are absolutely right!
A proper and sufficient meditation regime is the one where you meditate for 20 minutes each day. Within few weeks itself, you will see its results. Here are some scientifically backed benefits of meditation:
- Reduces stress: Stress can ruin almost everything in one’s life. Stress can rupture your body and mind in various ways. The stress hormone, cortisol, releases inflammation-promoting chemicals known as cytokines. These, in turn disrupt sleep and promote depression, anxiety, fluctuating blood pressure, and cloudy thinking. That’s when meditation can help you. The benefits are many: Regulates sleep, disrupts the rise of cortisol and promotes the release of happiness hormone.
- Regulates mood disorders and anxiety: In today’s age and time, if there’s one thing that can spoil your relationships and inner peace, it is your mood. Mood disorders and anxiety have become common terms ever since the era of technology came in. Mindfulness meditation, especially, is said to treat anxiety just as effectively as any drug therapy.
- May help fight addictions: When you meditate regularly, you learn to redirect your attention to self, control your emotional impulses as well as get rid of temptations. All of this is simply because you understand the cause of your addictive behaviours.
- Improves self-awareness: One of the basic problems that we face today is lack of self-awareness. Self-inquiry meditation or any form of meditation is based on the concept of knowing your inner self. This enables you to be fully aware of what is happening inside of you and also, in your surroundings.
- Promotes better sleep: Sleeplessness and insomnia is very common today. Almost half of the population in the globe is struggling from lack of sleep. Meditation helps relieve tension and also promotes the production and working of sleep hormone. Therefore, it helps treat insomnia.
Aishwarya Iyer is a chai-vanist, Murakami fan, considerate companion and a bubbly speaker with a fanaticism for fitness.