We are all burning as temperature rises and the way we are dealing with it is by cribbing and complaining more, isn’t it? Not sure if that is the best coping mechanism? Perhaps, if we invest that energy in devising some cooling tips, it might be a much more productive solution.
Food, yes is a huge part of cooling down, but that isn’t the only way either. Here, I am giving some food as well as non-food solutions to remain at your best this season. So here are some tips:
- Hot water with sabja seeds: Looks are deceptive when it comes to these tiny black seeds! Packed with nutrition, this is a fabulous body coolant for the summer months. I often have this as my first water in the morning because it has great digestive properties too! Sweet basil seeds are native to India coming from the lovely sweet basil plant. And I totally love local!
- Household drink: We look for expensive solutions everywhere when we have it in our own kitchen! Yes, I am talking about lovely cooling drink, jal jeera – made with aam chur powder, black salt, coriander, ginger powder, cumin powder – this one can be made at home or you even get ready-made packets that can be mixed in cold water. Since I’m super lazy, I get the ready-made packets, but obviously home made would be a better choice.
- Herbs like Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Tulsi: Indian herbs are so powerful. We truly undermine their impact and yes, these herbs are cooling in nature too. These are the 3 herbs I would recommend that reduce inflammation and cool the system from extra heat.
So all of the above can be consumed daily and homegrown, nothing like it!
- Aloe Vera: Even when I write this, I can feel the cool sensation and the suppleness of the skin! Again a plant that is grown organically that is made into a thick gel that I apply post washing my face and leave it on all day! Some people even use it as a summer moisturizer. I personally love these solutions over expensive ones. And here is a fun fact – from Cleopatra to Christopher Columbus, some of the history’s most famous figures relied on aloe vera for its healing properties. So get on this one right away but also make sure you get an organic source!
- Cooling house plants: Most of us would love to keep the air conditioner on, all day. Except that it can even dry your skin, leading to early onset of wrinkles too. Oops!! I try my best to reduce the use – not quite being able to do without it, let me admit it. However, we can use our lovely cooling plants to help us make the house cooler and then reduce the usage of air conditioner by couple of hours, right? Here is your list of plants – Areca palm tree, aloe vera plant, Fern, Snake plant to name a few. So when these plants lose water during transpiration, they cool the area around the plant leaving it purified and fresh!
- Essential Oils: Not quite a habit in India but something I have started to enjoy as a part of my night routine. Peppermint oil and spearmint oil are the ones to consider here. Use a diffuser to create a lovely ambiance using this and enjoy some down time while these oils do the cooling magic ☺
I have made sure to give all super easy summer cooing tips so that it isn’t much effort and can still make a huge difference!
Nipa Asharam is a Thriive-verified, certified health and life coach. Keen to follow a holistic lifestyle which gives your skin a natural glow without stress and tons of maintenance? You can now learn and apply the easy-to-follow secrets to getting a Natural Glow in the comfort of your home.
Check out this Masterclass by Nipa Asharam and say hello to happiness (yes, great skin does that for us!): https://bit.ly/2WrS8gJ