Here’s why keeping deadlines is healthy for the soul
Pam hates deadlines. No matter how hard she tries, she can’t ever meet them. Pam thinks deadlines aren’t her thing. Are you also, like Pam, not very fond of deadlines?
Have you ever thought why? Is it because you strive for over perfection and so you miss your deadlines? Is it because planning isn’t one of your skills—you always end up setting unrealistic expectations? Believe you me, these internal thought processes can hold you back more than you think.
Which is why, we got Singer, Song Writer & Reiki Master Natalie Matos to tell you exactly why—and how—deadlines are so important for your head, heart and soul, in her own words:
Whether you are currently working in an area that is a stepping stone to greater fulfillment or doing something that truly excites you, with the right planning and attitude, deadlines can be a game changer. Keeping deadlines helps you build an incredible set of skills and attributes that help you grow as a person.
These are the reasons setting deadlines is a soul-healthy habit:
Grow with the crunch
You must’ve experienced a ‘crunch’ point at least once where you think you may not be able to meet a deadline. Instead of changing your end goal, channel this feeling to encourage yourself to move into second gear, dig deep and put in that extra bit of effort. Deadlines do for you what a finishing line does for an athlete—they allow you to expand, grow and achieve greater things.
You can have the best laid plans, but life is known for its twists (which is its way of helping you learn and grow). Instead of wondering what you’ve done wrong, let your deadlines push you to rise to the challenge, move with the flow and look for a new direction. Don’t change your goal; update your plan to manage everybody’s expectations.
When you work hard to stick to your deadlines, you operate from a place of integrity. This not only helps people build their trust and faith in you, you also attracts people who work with the same integrity as you.
These are a bunch of things you can do to ace your process of keeping deadlines:
- Plan like a boss: Break down a deadline to individual tasks and don’t allow the distance or the pressure of the finish line to put you off the task at hand. Be realistic about timescales and outcomes.
- Celebrate every time you finish a task: Reward yourself every time you tick something off your to-do list. Keep your focus on how much you have achieved as opposed to being bogged down by what there is left to do. When you succeed, the brain releases dopamine, a chemical that helps you feel happy. And when something you do makes you happy, you naturally want to repeat the action that created it. What better encouragement before you move on to the next task?
- Time management is your best friend: If you want deadlines to work for you, manage your time in such a way that you give a sufficient degree of care to the task at hand.
- Keep deadlines for yourself as much as you do for others: Keeping deadlines for others at the expense of your own self care is a downward slope, and a strict no-no.
- Strike a balance between working for a deadline and enjoying the process of doing something: One can become too deadline focused—feeding off the dopamine hit of achieving—and forget the joy of just being (though that’s a whole other article!).
If you know the right charm, deadlines can do magic. And everything above is nothing less than what you need to get started.
About Natalie Matos
Singer, songwriter and Reiki Master Natalie Matos has been giving treatments, teaching and leading music and healing workshops since 2004. Her primary passion has always been to help people get the most from life. In 2014, she developed ‘Conscious Voice’, offering multiple uplifting techniques that combine the power of music, meditation, healing, and voice, to create a deeply relaxing and transformative class. As well as her Sound Meditations she offers healing treatments (including distance treatments by Skype) individual voice coaching, group singing workshops, and live performance. She can be contacted here:https://tinyurl.com/ybcy73vx
Nikita Jhanglani is a technical and creative content writer, editor and book blogger. Currently, she is into world domination, one checklist at a time.