Making most of summer at home during the lockdown
Raise your hand if it wasn’t your plan to spend the summer the way we are doing – confined in our houses, locked in, with nowhere to go! It is saddening the way things are with the world currently, and missing out on our summer plans makes it even more more depressing. But will it do us any good to be upset about ruined plans and feel all the more gloomy? No, right! So what can we do to make the most of summer in our current situation? Gita Hansaria, a certified wellness coach, shares tips on how we can enjoy summer at home.
- Indulge in mindful activities: Summer is about recreating yourself, to bring out a better version of you. What better way to do that than practice mindfulness. If you usually don’t, now is a good time to start practicing some mindful activities like meditation, chanting, or even something as simple as saying affirmations everyday.
- Eat seasonal fruits: Summer is a fruit lovers favourite season. After all it is the season of mangoes. Not just that, we have so many fruits in this season – litchi, watermelon, pear, plums, peach! Enjoy these fruits and eat your heart out. These fruits are hydrating, full of anti-oxidants and lots of other goodness. Since you now have the privilege of time, why not make some exciting recipes out of these fruits as well!
- Nurture a hobby: Always wanted to take up doodling, but never had the time? Well, now you do! Lockdown is the perfect time to nurture a hobby that you otherwise did not have time for. You can start writing, learn to play the ukulele, learn to draw and paint, or whatever it is that you want to do.
- Meet friends online: Summer is all about spending time with friends, cousins, and catching up. Just because you can’t meet them in person, does not mean that you should not spend some time with them. Organise conference video calls with all your friends and family, and have a good time at that. You can play games, have chat sessions, catch up during a meal – there’s so much you can do!
- Relax: The one thing we really need to do is relax. The times are difficult and trying, and we all need to really sit back and relax. It is time to reflect, understand our feelings, and give ourselves the freedom to feel whatever comes our way.
It is not the ideal summer, we all understand that, but complaining about it and feeling sad about it will not help us. Let us keep a positive attitude and make the most of the time we have.