A relationship requires more than what you think. It needs patience, understanding and a good amount of hard work to keep it harmonious and nurturing. The passion and attraction that makes you all in love might fade away with time but love does. But somewhere, when life takes over and getting the laundry or going to shop groceries become your priorities, you forget the base of your relationship, Love. You are not doing anything wrong but you are missing on the right things. Let’s see what can be done to keep the spark alive, even after years of togetherness.
- Support and respect each other’s perspectives: We all have lead different lives and hence have different mindsets and perspectives. It is very important for each individual to have their point of views accepted, especially but the ones who matter to them the most.
But in a relationship, we often tend to impose our perspectives on our partners forgetting about how they must feel about it. Therefore, we should be careful with what we are asking for when we fight over a decision. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean its wrong. Have space for trying to understand the other side of it and let your partner feel supported for their choices.
- Be responsive and pay attention: We have gotten into the habit of taking the people we love for granted and that not only get us in trouble but sometimes leaves us with the guilt of not being there for them when we should have been. The key is to give them the priority and try to be there for them as much as you can. And when you can’t take a call because you were in a very important meeting, be honest about it, trust me they will understand but make sure to call once you are done. Being attentive to each other’s problems and having their back will definitely strengthen up your relationship. It is not that difficult, you just have to respect someone’s trust in you.
- Forgiveness is the key: We all are humans and prone to mistakes and no matter how much we try to be perfect we tend to miss out or judge. In these situations keeping your calm and forgiving is a big help for your partner. Understand the situation and let it go. Nonetheless, it doesn’t give anyone the right to play with your emotions or take it for granted.
- Respect their space: No matter how close you think you are or how much you are needed, it is very important to understand that a person needs their space to function. You should respect the space your partner demands and let them explore when they feel the need. It also makes you more confident and your partner feel the trust you have in them.
- Be surprising: Try to get their attention even though you have spent years together. Little, sweet gestures make a lot of difference and will work like magic for your relationship. Be attentive to the details, know what your partner wants and use your creativity to bring out that smile every once in a while.
It is all sparkly and magical but with time the magic seems to die. Don’t lose hope so easily, it is all in your hands. It’s not that the love has faded it’s just that you don’t explore it anymore.
So, go for it, try new things, say that you love them, appreciate their beauty no matter how many times you have already done that. You may feel that your partner knows everything about you, and probably you are right but it is never wrong to celebrate the most important people in your life. You know their importance and they know yours, don’t be afraid to be experimental in love, it anyway is about a little madness.
Shivani Mehra is a budding author and a hopeless poet, a learning enthusiast and a dreamer who believes her dreams come true through writing.