Meditate your way to mindfulness: Your step-by-step guide to meditation
Meditation, yoga, mindfulness, Vipassana are all terms that we use very loosely today. Well, even though we are sure that you have heard them enough number of times, many do not know where and how to start meditation. For beginners like you, here is a perfect step-by-step guide to ace meditation.
What is meditation?
Meditation is a state of mind in which you are guided by your inner spirits. In other words, meditation is a state of mind in which you are well aware of what you need for yourself and your peaceful surroundings. Therefore, it helps you in being aware as well as maintaining your composure.
In today’s time, there are many types of meditation techniques to choose from. You could go for guided meditation, sleep meditation, transcendental meditation, mindfulness meditation, chakra meditation, Zen meditation, mantra meditation, healing meditation or even relaxation meditation. But where do we start? Here you go!
How to meditate?
Yes, meditation has a lot of benefits. You must understand that meditating is a way to focus your attention to the present. So, follow these steps to meditate the right way:
- Be comfortably seated: Sit in a comfortable position and relax for a while.
- Close your eyes and let your body loose.
- Concentrate on your breathing pattern: Don’t force yourself to breathe heavily or otherwise. Breathe normally and focus your attention on the inhalation and exhalation of breath.
- Observe your body movements closely.
- Practice this on a daily basis.
Benefits of meditation
Needless to say, there are many advantages of practicing meditation. Here are a few of them (in no order of preference):
- Deeper relaxation
- Improved concentration
- Lowered blood pressure
- Reduced stress
- Overall improved heart-health
- Lowered anxiety
- Stabilized mood
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved emotional well-being
- Improved breathing levels
- Improved immunity
- Better results for fighting addictions
- Enhanced self-awareness.
Takeaway: Meditation also gives you an assured sense of peace internally. So we suggest you start with altering your lifestyle and practicing meditation right away. Wake up early, get on your meditation chair or yoga mat, and start your day with meditation. You will see a positive change in your life instantly.
Aishwarya Iyer is a chai-vanist, Murakami fan, considerate companion and a bubbly speaker with a fanaticism for fitness.