Your step-by-step guide to meditating at home
Meditation is a state of consciousness in terms of knowing your body and mind. Through the processes of being well aware about yourself, you try to know your surroundings. There are a variety of meditation techniques to choose from (while each of them have their own positives): guided meditation, mindfulness meditation, chakra meditation, healing meditation or relaxation meditation.
Meditation has both long term as well as short-term benefits. Those who regularly meditate have spoken about how it is quite helpful in dealing with stress, blood pressure, improved sleep and overall health. But how do you get started at home?
Here’s your go-to guide:
- Posture: Believe it or not, most of us have a bad posture. We don’t have the habit of sitting straight and worse is our habit of constantly sitting on sofas or beds. We have forgotten our roots of sitting on the ground. So when you get to meditation, you must sit comfortably on the floor, most preferably facing the window and sitting straight.
- Pick up a comfortable time: Early morning has been the perennial favourite for many. Maintain a routine where you pick up a comfortable time and sit down to meditate. Also make sure you aren’t going to be disturbed by the constant knocks of courier or vendors.
- Meditation seat: If you cannot sit on the floor, opt for a meditation seat or you could meditate on the bed.
- Go from short to long sessions: When you begin to meditate, don’t force yourself to sit for the longest time. Go from a short span to gradually working your way up. So, initially, if you can only sit for 5 minutes, so be it.
- Focus on your breathing: When you sit to meditate, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Concentrate on how effortlessly your mind and body works in tandem. Become more aware of your surroundings and yourself.
- Comfortable clothing: It is a mandate to dress comfortably. Make sure you can sit on a meditating chair or on the ground with the clothes you are wearing.
- Always end your meditation by being grateful: Gratitude is a very important human quality. Being grateful for whatever you have will automatically create positive vibes in you.