Tarot Card Reading and Astrology – The Similarities and Differences Explained
For decades, the terms tarot card reading and astrology have been used interchangeably.
Most people dismiss tarot card sessions as regular astrology horoscopes, and today, we’re putting an end to this misconception.
It’s essential to know that both are quite different when it comes to tools and processes. The first major dissimilarity? Tarot readers use both cards and the person’s intuition. On the other hand, astrology mainly uses scientific forecasting based on the positions of stars and planets.However, both tools help individuals gain insights into their personal life, past life, love life, financial situation, and more.
Read ahead to learn about these methods of divination in detail, and expand your knowledge.
What Is Tarot Card Reading?
Let’s start from scratch by understanding what tarot card reading is. Tarot card readers are also popularly known as psychics who use spiritual mediums to answer questions.
Psychics have a special mental ability to predict what might happen in the future or understand what people are thinking. A good psychic can judge a person’s character without talking to them because their observational skills are exceptional.
Therefore, tarot reading is a form of divination wherein psychics help individuals make important decisions to make their life better.
Important pointers to know about the Tarot Deck:
- The deck consists of 78 cards. Each card has a different image that symbolizes various things.
- Once you choose a card, the symbolic images help stimulate the reader’s imagination and intuition.
- The deck is divided into two parts – Major Arcana, consisting of 22 cards, and Minor Arcana, which consists of 56 cards and is broken into four different suits.
- The cards in Major Arcana represent significant events of life or themes which are long-term.
- On the other hand, the Minor Arcana consists of cards that signify smaller and everyday life events. Each suit stands for a specific theme in one’s life.
- The Minor Arcana cards relate to answers which help frame the Major Arcana themes.
- The most common cards in Major Arcana are The Sun, The Moon, The Hermit, Temperance, Strength, and The Fool. They all signify various things like success, balance, or new beginnings.
- On the other hand, Minor Arcana has cards like Pentacles, Wands, Swords, Cups, and more.
To learn more about tarot, visit this blog.
What Is Astrology?
The art of astrology goes beyond daily horoscopes, sun signs, and moon signs. It’s complex and deals with the positions of celestial bodies, which impacts behavior and emotions.
Future astrology focuses on:
- The Sun
It also makes use of zodiac signs to group planetary positions. They are:
Daily horoscopes indicate sun signs in general. Hence, when you read your horoscope in a newspaper, it’s most likely based on your sun sign. Additionally, every person has a zodiac sign for each planet. Understanding them is what astrology is all about. This creates an impact on who you are as a person and what you were meant to be.
History of Tarot and Astrology
Going back to the 15th century; tarot was initially a simple card game in Europe. But, by the end of the 18th century, people started exploring tarot cards for divination purposes.
There are various decks used in tarot readings, the most common being – the Rider Waite-Smith Tarot deck, the Tarot of Marseilles, and the Thoth Tarot deck. Now, years after its discovery, just like the original deck, the initial 78 cards are still present.
On the other hand, it’s said that astrology horoscopes date back to the 1st century BC. However, most people weren’t aware of it until the 20th century, when newspapers started publishing daily horoscopes. The idea of finding the meaning of life and personality through the movement of celestial bodies and positions fascinated people. Soon they started developing and understanding the stars and planets, making future astrology a more popular field of study.
Difference Between Tarot and Astrology
- The biggest difference between tarot card reading online and astrological readings is the fact that astrology requires information about the time, date, and place of birth. In tarot readings, predictions are made based on the card you pick and not your birth chart.
- Another difference includes the sub-branches and types of cards used. There are various branches such as Vedic Astrology, Natal Astrology, KP Astrology, and more. In tarot, there are different types of cards like Rider Waite Tarot Cards, Osho Zen Cards, Angel Cards, etc.
- The purpose of astrology horoscopes is to understand the benefits it can bring to your life, giving you deeper knowledge about your true self. But the meaning of tarot reading is to connect yourself to your underlying thoughts or subconscious mind and understand the answer to a specific situation or question.
- In tarot readings, psychics rely on their intuition to understand the spread of cards. On the other hand, future astrology is more math and science-based. It understands the patterns and cycles of the heavenly bodies and connects them to the human body.
Similarities Between Astrology and Tarot Reading
At the end of the day, both tarot and astrology are powerful tools to gain insights into the past, present, and future.
Even though their processes differ, spiritual connectivity binds them and puts them under the same roof. Nevertheless, both tools trigger a similar reaction; confidence and preparedness for the journey of life. In short, by understanding your life’s purpose, you can become a happier person and make better life decisions.